Sunday 15 February 2015

secret identity

I am not a part of FBI, so I should not be required to keep my identity in secret. I remember when I was in elementary school, I was asked to keep my Chinese name a secret. I did. None of my friend knows my Chinese name. They asked and so I gave them a fake name. At the time, I couldn't fully understand why I was required to keep my profile low. Am I the daughter of a prestigious family or am I a refuge from an unmentionable place. As fast as I know I was neither. But that unknown gave me a lot of room for my imagination to fill in. If I told them my name, there would be consequences. I would be in trouble or worse, my family could be in danger. It could start of as a misunderstanding. Maybe all I was asked to do was to not speak Mandarin in school. Despite what was the intention behind the command given, I carried an unknown burden subconsciously. Hide yourself. Don't tell others. Slowly, I broke out of my shell. I confront anyone who tries to put me back in. Why must I hide? Is there something I should be ashamed of? Is there something wrong with me? Is there something wrong with mu family. No! I don't think so. I am overtly proud of them. I am confident. Most importantly, I know God takes care of my family, so I am not afraid to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment